Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sept 16, 2007

Before I dive into the latest, I'd like to ask if anyone from the New York Metro area has been disconnected by Comcast "for using the Internet too much", to please contact me as soon as possible. Or if you know of someone, I would count it a personal favor to contact me. There is a reporter who is interested in speaking to someone locally.

I have several people in the East coast interested with interviewing but they are a little further than the reporter would like. Simply post a comment on the blog with your email or phone number. I will NOT post it and spread your information beyond what you allow. Thanks!


Ok, so what does the Government say Broadband is?

I was stunned to learn the FCC considers anything above 200K to be Broadband. Most countries these days are looking at a minimum of 2 Megs before something can be called that. My guess is they don't understand this was Broadband when everyone had 2400 baud modems or slower.

Several people I've spoken with the last couple weeks suggested Broadband isn't important. That the US has all it needs and then some. I don't agree. In fact other states (such as Ohio) have signed initiatives to build a fiber infrastructure and countries are getting the jump on us. Australia for instance is looking to build an Infrastructure which 99% will have Broadband within two years! From the Australia article:

The joint venture, known as OPEL, would contribute a further 900 million US dollars to provide broadband of at least 12 megabits per second by June 2009.

"What we have announced today is a plan that will deliver to 99 percent of the Australian population very fast and affordable broadband in just two years' time," Howard said.

An expert group will also develop a bidding process for the building of a fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) broadband network, funded solely by private companies, in major cities.


And in Ohio, they seek to save money and build an affordable system available to everyone:

The order directs state agencies to use the Broadband Ohio Network rather than the patchwork of public and private networks agencies presently use, allowing the state to realize cost savings and efficiencies.

“By fully utilizing our state broadband network we will be making efficient, responsible use of our public dollars,” Strickland said.


I wish them well.

One more note, looks like Farmington City Council may not be moving forward soon with Utopia. At least those are the rumblings I'm hearing. I hope in their September 18th meeting they will at least investigate it before making any decisions.

The decision to move from pledging to non-pledging was motivated by risk tolerance; the council just doesn't feel comfortable with being on the hook in the rare instance that UTOPIA can't make the bond payments.


I haven't heard of any cities complaining about money being an issue. Only iProvo is cited as an example of what not to do. Fortunately, iProvo is not Utopia. I've been told they sublease Utopia lines and it's a service the city provides to residents. Utopia doesn't provide services, only the lines. A big difference there.

Personally, I've thought about my future home purchases. It's very unlikely I would consider a second purchase here in West Jordan unless a change in the climate occurs. In purchasing a second home, I'm looking only in cities in which Utopia is available or will be. West Jordan is a great city however the same services can be found in other cities as well. Either the Internet is important or it isn't. Can't have it both ways.

11 comments:

SaintPeter said...

Don't know if you'd seen this response from Comcast:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=17434

I was interested in your take on it.

Nikkoa said...

No joke. The average download speed in japan is around 45 megs a second. We have been screwed as American consumers because our lack of knowledge on the subject. Too many people don't care. The sad part, broadband information is becoming increasingly important in the years to come, and they will soon learn what a mistake we've made. What can we do to help prevent this?

u235sentinel said...

SaintPeter said...

Don't know if you'd seen this response from Comcast:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=17434

I was interested in your take on it.


I appreciate the chance to comment on their response.

With great anticipation I thought "Here it is!! They are finally going to answer the question". After months of speaking on the issue, I realized it was the same cut / paste response I've been seeing for months. Rather disappointing. And I thought they had something to say.

from the article

First, Douglas defines Comcast's "excessive use" as any customer who downloads the equivalent of 30,000 songs, 250,000 pictures or 13 million emails in a month.

Yup. They didn't even bother to change their numbers. At least their PR department is earning their money this year with all the stories being written :-)

I've analyzed their response in February, translating it from "Comcastic" to English.

Their response was slashdotted of course, and they had a .001% positive response. The other 99.99%.. well... here is an example of what they said, and I agree

Even stupider, they show just how far behind the times they are by
measuring things in "emails, songs and pictures". Welcome to 1998,
friends.

I prefer to have my bandwidth cap quoted in station wagons of DLT tapes
per month...

Unknown said...

Hello everyone, I just got disconnected from Comcast today. They didn't even warn me. They did call me a few months ago to reduce my bandwidth use but not today they didn't

And I am a work from home person so this has really hurt.

However I found a sweet deal. I live in the Greater Boston area and RCN is also a cable company here and I just happen to have a RCN connection in my appartment.

They are giving me the full cable channels and 20mb internet connection, 2 year contract for just a couple of dollars LESS than I was paying for Comcast. This is a $150 dollar value.

Unknown said...

Hello everyone,

I just got disconnected from Comcast today. They didn't even warn me. They did call me a few months ago to reduce my bandwidth use but not today they didn't

And, I am a work from home person so this has really hurt.

However I found a sweet deal. I live in the Greater Boston area and RCN is another cable company here. Also, I just happen to have a RCN connection in my appartment.

They are giving me the full cable channels and 20mb internet connection, 2 year contract for just a couple of dollars LESS than I was paying for Comcast. This is a $150 dollar value.

Keep spreading the word.

Jim

SaintPeter said...

*smacks forehead*

I had read your prior analysis too.

For some reason, when I did the math I came out with about 100GB/month. I'm probably off by an order of magnitude.

Oh well, maybe one day they'll give a straight (and reasonable) answer.

Unknown said...

Rogers, in Canada = 60gb\month... Not really enforced...

Nethead said...

I have disconnected in both MD and VA. As for everyone, I was never given any limits to be under and even when I installed software to track amounts dled, I was at 50gb for a month and they still disconnected me. I guess they didn't like me using Vonage for my VOIP, since i kept telling them, "NO I DO NOT WANT YOUR COMCAST VOIP SERVICE."

I was able to be reconnected in VA because the local CSR could not understand how they could disconnect you for using their 'unlimited' service. (Created a new account in the wife's name)

FIOS will be here next year and Comcast will be dead to me. Funny in the areas where which have FIOS, comcast as increase the speed down to 16, but still you get a nice phone call/letter if you use their service 'too much'.

Jesse Harris said...

Actually... the 200Kbps standard is post-Telecommunications Act of 1996. At the time of the Act, broadband was defined as 45Mbps. The telcos got the FCC to redefine it to the lower standard after the fact so they could try and get away with not building the promised network.

Tom Sowa said...

anyone out in the Washington or Oregon area, with similar problems with Comcast?

u235sentinel said...

SaintPeter said...

*smacks forehead*

I had read your prior analysis too.

For some reason, when I did the math I came out with about 100GB/month. I'm probably off by an order of magnitude.


Could you post your analysis here. I'd love to read it and compare to my February 20th post.

Oh well, maybe one day they'll give a straight (and reasonable) answer.

Not likely. They recently posted a "clarification". It was amusing what they thought was clarifying their policy.

I guess this also suggests we're beginning to have an affect upon them. Hopefully they will abandon their irresponsible policy and actually work with the customer rather than talk about it.